Sunday, November 4, 2007

My Summer Travels

Chapter 1: Applying for Interlochen

I guess it started about a year ago when the 2007 Interlochen application forms became available. I decided to apply since I was too late for 2006. Interochen Arts Camp is a place for young aspiring artists. And, when I say artists I mean any kind of art. There's what you normally think of when you hear art, visual arts like painting, sculpting, or drawing. Then, there's music, photography, creative writing, drama. And even foreign languages! The place is full of talented kids who'll blow you away!






So I applied for an Intermediate Boys Session A Piano major 2007 slot. But first I had to record two of my best piano pieces of contrasting style. I played "Rhumba Toccatta" and "O Danny Boy" Ask me to play them some time. But beware, I'm a bit rusty. So I practiced until my hands fell off and my mom had to put salt on it and sew them back on. Around January, I was ready so I took my music, myself, and my anxiety to a recording studio to record my pieces. This was because we tried to record it with a tape recorder but it was very staticky. Finally, I sent the CD with my two works of art to the school in February.


I'll tell you it was about eight weeks before I heard anything from Interlochen. Then one day, I asked my dad if we could stop at the post office and see if we had received an news from Interlochen for about the seventy-eighth time. We went and indeed there was a letter in the box with the now all-to-familiar Interlochen logo. As we were driving away I opened. Right on the roundabout I read "Dear Mr.Wayne Bernard Farquharson, We are pleased to tell you that you have been accepted to Interlochen Arts Camp. We are able to contribute $500 to your fee."


I am embarrassed to say that I screamed like a little girl. I think the whole of Indigo must have heard. I express sincere apologies to the Illing family who own Indigo if I broke any china.


That concludes this segment of My Summer Travels. Join me next time when I warn you of the tediousness of filling out camp forms. There are just too many.

Web, signing off

1 comment:

zorro said...

Bernie, you need to alert your friends about your blog. Better still teach them to host their own blog. This way you creat a little community of bloggers amongst your peers. The quality of a blog depends on the quality comments you get in our comment blog. A blog is essentially a personal journal. Long ago we used to call it keeping a diary. Blogs have taken over and it is such a wonderful way of sharing our thoughts, our ideas.
Kong kong....and by the way it is some 15 days since you last put up a posting. Miss you and love you Bernie.